20 things you must do when you start Blogging
Blogging is all about sharing your passion with the world. While the blog does take time to grow, it’s important for the first time bloggers to chalk out a plan and follow it religiously even when you have little to no audience. It not only does pay off during the long run but also helps you figure out your strength & weaknesses at an early stage.
Early days of blogging can be daunting and exhausting as you have to single handedly work on lot of aspects. Over load of tasks is bound to distract us and overlook fundamental stuffs that are essentially MUST DO. So I decided to create a checklist of “20 things you must do when you start Blogging”
Below list may have simple fundamental elements that you would already know, but we often ignore them and worry about bigger picture. So get your basics right and ensure you have ticked on all the tasks listed before you take the next leap.
- When you are picking up a theme for your blog from wordpress or any other medium, ensure the theme is mobile friendly.
- Install a Back-up plugin and schedule for automatic backup service, this saves you from losing data at grave times. [Recommended Tool: Backup Buddy]
- Write 3 types of ‘About’ section i.e.
a. Tag Line – (that says it all)
b. Short description about your blog in a line
c. About You – (write in detail about your background that’s interesting or inspiring and connects your passion to start the blog)
- Register with all the Social Media Channels with your Blog Name. Ensure you get the same handle name across all the channels or at least nearly the same.
- Add the following to your blog sidebar – Social Media Icons to follow your page and an Email Subscription box.
- Write posts mentioning about established brands, provide an outbound link and tag the brand when you share the post on social media channels.
- Write series of posts and provide a link to each other within the content. (Inbound linking is as necessary as outbound).
- Length of the content is very important. Some prefer short, some long form content. Please test & measure.
- After publishing the post, track all the comments and respond back. This not only helps you engage with your audience but also retain.
- Pictures definitely speak louder than words, hence put an effort to get good pictures or purchase and edit using tools to make it visually appealing. [Recommended Tool: Canva]
- Install an SEO plugin and never skip to do SEO for every post you publish. [Recommended Tool: All in One SEO]
- Start being active on 1 social media platform that works best for you. Grow the user base, learn their behaviour and chalk out a plan to keep them engaged. Then move to the other.
- Enrol to a Social Management tool, which helps you manage all your social media channels efficiently. [Recommended Tool: Hootsuite]
- Activate an Email service and start collecting the email id’s. Best way to reach your audience and make your presence felt is through Newsletters. [Recommended Tool: Mailchimp]
- Create a schedule for – Publishing blog posts, sending newsletters and posting on social media channels.
- Request established bloggers or influencers to give an opportunity to guest blog or mention about your blog in their article as and when it is suitable.
- Install Google Analytics tool and learn the basics of how to analyse the traffic data.
- Make a habit to check for content plagiarism periodically. [Recommended Tool: CopyScape]
- Install plugin to block spam messages. [Recommended Tool: Akismet]
- Very Important – Blog consistently!
About the Author: Sneha has been an IT engineer in the past but her strong inclination towards designing took her to blogging, where she shares her passion for home styling. She enjoys unleashing her creativity and bring alive dull spaces. Follow her work at www.stylenob.com