Are you a fresh graduate/ intern / student that is worried about academic qualifications? Are you wondering what career path is the right one for you? Online Marketing career may be the right profession for you.
Online Marketing is a sure shot that offers high-paying salary and has a lot of opportunities in the market. You can earn a good package, while doing Web Marketing at your own room.
The Search Industry is HOT
The first dot-com bubble may have burst a decade ago, but the current bubble is getting bigger and stronger every day. One of the main reasons for the current dot-com boom is the skyrocketing growth of the search engine industry. Online Marketing has exploded into the mainstream over the past few years and businesses are falling over themselves to get seen by online searchers.
Is College Degree your concern?
Because the search industry is relatively young, there are only a handful of online courses and certifications offered in the field of Search Engine Marketing in India including courses from Web Marketing Academy, Bangalore.
Most search engine marketing practitioners are self-taught online, learning the field by taking courses, researching trends; attending conferences and participating in discussion forums.
However, candidates who hold a marketing degree, e-business specialization or specific certification in Web Marketing may well have an edge over their fellow applicants when it comes to Online Marketing opportunities.
The Pay is Fantastic
A job in the search industry can be unbelievably well-paid. As noted recently by Jennifer Laycock of Search Engine Guide, “There are quite literally more jobs than there are skilled marketers and salaries can skyrocket to almost embarrassing levels.”
Have you seen the type of salaries that search engine marketing and search engine optimization consultants/employees are currently commanding in the India? Clearly, the search industry is making some people rich. Here are some typical salaries in INR:
Entry level SEO/SEM position = INR 17-20K per month
Three to five years experience / online account managers = INR 40K-45K per month
Five + years / organic SEO specialists = INR 50K-55K per month
Senior management level = INR 1-1.4 Lakhs per month
SEM Director = INR 2 Lakhs per month
Get Hands-On Marketing Experience
A course or training in Web Marketing can take you a distance, but most employers are looking for candidates with specialization, whether that’s from a previous job, internship or side project.
If you already have work experience in the Online Marketing world, Congratulations!
For the rest of you, Online Marketing courses or trainings or workshops will be key.
“Any hands-on involvement with campaign creation, analytics, or optimization can be extremely beneficial to aspiring digital marketers”. “If you’re in college or a recent post grad, the best way to gain experience is to do a course at relevant institute. Not only do you get real time hands-on experience, but it’s also great to put on your resume when you’re ready for a full-time position.”
Search Marketing Has the WOW Factor
Once candidates know what they’re doing, it’s very easy for a Online/Digital Marketer to wow their clients. The difference that a successful SEO or PPC campaign can make to a client’s bottom line is substantial. There’s fact that online conversion rates for a client zoom from 1% to a massive 5% after just few small tweaks to their web site. And although rankings are not as important as actual conversions, clients still get very excited to see their site listed in the top 10 search results for certain keywords. It’s the WOW factor in action.
The Demand is Strong and Growing
As mentioned in relation to search engine salaries, there are literally many more jobs than there are skilled marketers to fill them. This extreme demand means Search Engine Marketers can pick and choose their jobs and/or clients. The more skilled marketers are head-hunted regularly in Facebook/Linkedin.
Job Satisfaction is High
Search is a fascinating industry. With all the hype, daily gossip, corporate take-over, start-ups and geek toys, I can guarantee that you won’t get bored. This combined with 24/7 internet access to research & learn various news online, the flexible work hours, low start-up costs, ability to be your own boss and the excellent income keeps job satisfaction high for Search Engine Marketers. So what are you waiting for? Go get a job in search.
10 Sites All Online Marketers Should Visit on the Regular:
- http://adage.com/: Ad Age is a leading global source of news, intelligence and conversation for marketing and media communities.
- http://www.businessweek.com/technology/: Bloomberg Businessweek’s technology page covers the latest technology news about computers, software, consumer electronics, the Internet, and wireless technology and provides product reviews on new tech gadgets.
- http://www.clickz.com/: ClickZ provides expert advice about online marketing, email, brand and interactive marketing, and search engine marketing as well as Internet advertising news, e-commerce market research, Internet statistics and more.
- http://www.dmnews.com/: Direct Marketing News is an industry leader in coverage of direct marketing, reporting on all channels of direct marketing including direct mail, search, email, multi-channel retail, media, list and internet marketing.
- http://www.mashable.com/: Mashable is a Social Media news blog covering the latest social media networks, cutting edge web sites and web technology news via RSS daily.
- http://www.kaushik.net/avinash/: Avinash Kaushik blog reports on understanding complex sets of data.
- http://www.searchenginejournal.com: Search Engine Journal “SEJ” helps companies improve their interactive marketing, and helps marketers to succeed in a challenging career. Launched in 2003, SEJ is unique in its community-based approach to search marketing. Virtually all content comes from the real experts: in-house and independent Internet marketers themselves.
- http://searchengineland.com/: Search Engine Land is a must read hub for news and information about search engine marketing, optimization and how search engines such as Google, Yahoo, Microsoft Live.com and Ask.com work for searchers.
- http://www.techcrunch.com: Tech Crunch is a Group-edited blog about technology start-ups, particularly the Web 2.0 sector.
- http://blogs.wsj.com/digits: The Wall Street Journal’s “Digits” blog covers the latest technology news and insights.
Choose your positions wisely as you move around in your online marketing career. Pretend you’re on the show “Survivor,” and position:
- What jobs/courses will allow you to apply your current knowledge and gain even more skills in online marketing?
- Either SEO, PPC, Affiliate, Analytics, Social Media or Digital Marketing
- What companies can you align with that will be a platform for you to build your personal brand upon?
- What people in the industry can you form relationships with to position you better in the future?
- Attend OME Events, Bangalore
- Attend consultation at Web Marketing Academy, Bangalore.