September -2011 OME meet
Why a Career in Digital Marketing for me was like the perfect date night!
Over the years, there has always been an evolution of current needs and the most demanded skill sets in an economy. Digital marketing seems to have a wild run with it. Here are 4 strong enough reasons to think of pursuing a digital marketing career if you want a life that is progressive and also have work that is enjoyable.
- In- Demand
The jobs that will be created are increasing in number as more and more businesses get online and there is currently a skill gap to fill for this profile. Gearing up for a career wherein the demand is greater than the supply is always a smart move. It is like being the guy with the guitar in a party!
- No room for boredom!
Sometimes it is to good to believe that having a job where you actually want to put in the work and digital marketing is a complete whitespace for anyone who wants to have a creative job. And this blog that I am writing is a perfect example of it. Here with a cup of coffee trying to let my creativity flow and allow me to write a compelling blog.
- Getting a higher pay!
For some, this is music to their ears. There is nothing wrong in it as well, everyone wants to have a higher pay for their work. To be a bit technical your work value of an hour can increase four folds given that you go ahead and pursue something specific you love. Here is an interesting survey for salaries http://www.prosperity.ie/survey_2014.html.
- Oh wait, you can kickstart your own gig!
So many career path demands a work experience before you can actually get into starting something of your own. Though digital marketing provides a space that will allow you to start something before you even have set a foot in workplace. Though I would love to point out something which might act as a disclaimer! Not everybody finds this creative and it very much depends on your attitude towards the course and how you build out a skill set suitable to you. Nevertheless, like that dream date I hope this also becomes food for thought and gives you a reason to think of digital marketing.
Contributor at WMA
The Importance of Videos for Business in India in 2016, 2017
Pinterest 101 – Basics of Pinterest and why your business should be in Pinterest
3 NEW THINGS TO LOOK OUT FOR IN THE WORLD OF DIGITAL MARKETING
in the week of 26th Sept – 2nd Oct 2016
Digital marketing world is ever-evolving and it is important for every marketer to keep track of the latest development. Staying up-to-date with trends aids brands to be more customer focused and build a strategy to stay ahead of the competition. This week’s update will help do just that.
- Snapchat is now Snap Inc.!
On 24th Sept, Snapchat rebranded to Snap Inc. Although it sounds nice and short, is rebranding now a good thing? Snapchat CEO Evan Spiegel mentioned in his blog that they are expanding. They do not want to limit to just a messenger app but bring in new products.
Also with the rebranding, Snap Inc. announced their latest wearables to the world – ‘Spectacles’. As per their blog “Spectacles are sunglasses with an integrated video camera that makes it easy to create Memories. We’ve created one of the smallest wireless video cameras in the world, capable of taking a day’s worth of Snaps on a single charge, and we integrated it seamlessly into a fun pair of sunglasses – available in 3 different colors!”
The Spectacles transfer the memories in the app by connecting to snapchat via Bluetooth or Wi-Fi. These memories will be played with their circular video format which plays on any device and any orientation. The highlight is that it captures the human perspective with 115 degrees’ field of view.
According to techtimes.com, they are planning to roll it out at US$ 130 in fall 2016. There are much cheaper than Google’s Glasses priced at $1000!
- Twitter’s Moment rolled out to all & launches interview series on Periscope in India
In August 2016, twitter had announced about Moments was being rolled out to select group of publishing partners, influencers, and brands. Now, as per tech.firstpost.com, Twitter is ready to roll Moments to all its users
For all those who are new to Moments – it is a feature that will allow users to compile multiple tweets around a topic of interest into a collection. One can collect content from various media and other accounts to create a storyhttps://soundcloud.com/. A Moment can include multiple tweets, videos, photographs, vines or even audio from SoundCloud. Twitter also shared tips & tricks for making a great Moment.
Like Instagram & Snap Inc. Twitter users will also get a chance to use a story format. There are also rumors of Twitter being considered to be bought – Google and Disney are said to be some of the interested players along with salesforce
2a. Twitter India’s Periscope move
As per tech.firstpost.com, Twitter India, and digital video network, PING Network are coming together to create LIVE video interview series with Periscope. Govindraj Ethiraj, veteran journalist and founder of PING Network started off with the 1st episode called ‘Will India Remain A Fast Growth Economy’ with Adi Godrej, Chairman, Godrej Group. This episode was streamed live on Periscope HD via BOOM a digital journalism platform on 28th Sept.
Ping Network’s and Boom’s Twitter account have promoted the same. You can also catch the episode on YouTube on Why Adi Godrej Loves Cinthol Soap & Is Bullish On India’s Economy. This episode on Periscope received 236 LIVE viewers and 757 replay views.
As per afaqs.com, Govindraj Ethiraj says, “#Megabites will bring India’s business leaders on the same platform as young India and have them interact on issues that matter the most to the economy, to the country, and to our future.” And Keya Madhvani, head, media partnerships, Twitter India, says, “Through #MegaBites, our newest Periscope series, viewers can keep a finger on the pulse of conversations at the intersection of business and technology. The idea behind a programmed Periscope show is to foster a new format of digital storytelling via LIVE video that is thought-provoking, conversational, substantive, and distinct from mainstream content.”
- Google Analytics’ Google Optimize – New FreeTool!
Earlier March 2016 google launched Google Analytics 360 Suite, a data management platform available for purchase. This basically enabled integration for analytics with marketing and advertising data for large companies. They offered many products under it and one of the product was Optimize 360. This allowed companies to test different variations of their site and then tailor it to deliver a personalized experience.
Google in its blog, announced they are rolling out a new product called Google Optimize. It is a free version of Google Optimize 360. As per their blog, it is “This free web and mobile-web testing and personalization tool help businesses improve their customer experiences and business metrics. Because it’s built on top of Google Analytics, businesses can use their existing information to experiment and personalize site experiences with minimal setup requirements.” Many big companies struggle with integration of data, testing and gaining insights. With this free version brands will be able to see which visitors are most engaged and allows them to do A/B testing. This, in turn, gives data that aids in creating engaging content and a great customer experience.
Many big companies struggle with integration of data, testing and gaining insights. With this free version brands will be able to see which visitors are most engaged and allows them to do A/B testing. This, in turn, gives data that aids in creating engaging content and a great customer experience.
The free Google Optimize product does look promising and SME companies should make full use of it. Getting data about most engaged users will definitely help brands create more targeted customer experiment.
Also, we feel consumers may invest in Snap’s Spectacles considering they are reasonably priced when compared to Google’s Glasses and seem to be simple to use. One just has to click videos or pics. But then, how convenient would it be for users take videos from the spectacle then transferring it to the app over just directly using the app to capture memories.
Also, it would have been better if Twitter would have rolled Moments to all users earlier considering they have stiff competition from Instagram and Snap. But this roll-out gives one more reason for users to stay on twitter. We also hope this roll out to all will increase engagement for users and brands.
Watch this space for weekly updates in digital marketing.
3 NEW UPDATES IN DIGITAL MARKETING
Week of: 19th Sept – 25th Sept
This week we will explore how Facebook is experimenting with ads in Live video. Let us also take a look at the difference in standard and expanded ads by Google AdWords. Also, read up on the new LinkedIn Initiatives.
1. Ads in Facebook Live Video:
The Facebook live video has received a tremendous response and now they want to add commercial breaks or ads between these live videos. This presents a great prospect for advertisers.
As per the article by Adage, “These ads will be shown 15 mins into the broadcast and can last up to 15 secs or shorter.” Also “Facebook told advertisers that the video ads would be drawn from among promoted video campaigns already running on the platform, but some brands could opt out of having their ads appearing during live broadcasts.” Many brands have opted out owing to lack of data on performance and control
2. Google AdWords – Expanded Text Ads:
Google AdWords has recently introduced expanded text ads. This means they have increased character limits for the texts ads creating more space when compared to standard ads. These ads are also mobile optimised.
See below tables for comparing Standard to Expanded Text Ads
Standard ads must meet the following length requirements:
|Limit for most languages||Limit for double-width characters|
|Headline||25 characters||12 characters|
|Description line 1||35 characters||17 characters|
|Description line 2||35 characters||17 characters|
|Display URL||255 characters (35 shown)||255 characters (17 shown)|
Expanded Ad: must meet the following length requirements:
|Limit for most languages||Limit for double-width characters|
|Headline 1||30 characters||15 characters|
|Headline 2||30 characters||15 characters|
|Description||80 characters||40 characters|
|URL Path fields (2)||15 characters each||7 characters each|
But, we still don’t have enough data to see how this new feature impacts the performance of ads. As per searchingland.com “Variation in performance between Expanded Text Ads and standard ads can look quite different depending on if you’re looking at “top” or “other.” One travel client found that CTR on Expanded Text Ads was 32 percent higher when appearing in the banner but only 10 percent higher when appearing at the bottom of the page.
As per tech.firstpost.com LinkedIn has rolled it’s 3 step initiative LinkedIn Lite, LinkedIn Placements and LinkedIn starter Pack.
- LinkedIn Lite: A stripped down version to ensure even 2G network users can also connect on this platform. This means faster load time, especially on mobile.
- LinkedIn Placement: This feature will allow students to take an assessment test online and get access to thousands of openings. Microsoft believes LinkedIn Placement will give a fair chance to students across the country even the rural areas.
- LinkedIn Start-ups: This one is for the small-medium businesses as well as start-ups. LinkedIn will provide, Premium hiring, Marketing and Learning solution in one package called LinkedIn a box. This is offer is on a first come first basis for most promising businesses.
Microsoft seems to aim at connecting and giving a fair chance to all, whether you are from a city or from a village. But the question that comes up is whether tier 2 and tier 3 cities of India aware of LinkedIn? Creating awareness for these new markets would prove beneficial.
As for ads in Facebook live feed does give a great opportunity for brands. But it is crucial to establish a connection with the video content and the ad that is shown. How does one control which ads are shown in which live video? Although they are still in an experimenting phase, it would be interesting to see how they come up with a strategy for brands to leverage this.
Marketers can use the extra space in the expanded ads format. But, this is a new addition and it would be better to test ads for both standard and expanded format. Analyse both their performances and see which one works better for the brand.
Author: Madhur Phadnis
Must Have Skills for a Today’s Digital Marketer
Having nightmares before the Interview…? Especially if it’s your dream job and you want to give your best and you always feel as if there were some mantras that would affirm success in your interview, then nothing like it…
I am sure every one of us has faced the situations like this, no matter how well you are prepared. It was no different for me until I mustered all my courage to call my mentor Suresh (CEO-Web Marketing Academy – Bangalore), a day before my interview for a Digital Marketing Manager position.
“What is your USP that differentiates from other Digital Marketers? “. This thought has been lingering in me, until I spoke to Suresh… who gave a new dimension to my thought process and confidence.
Let’s walk through the essential skills and tools that are required in this Digital world (sic), which sets you apart from other Digital Marketers and helps to stay ahead of other competitors. So let’s login to the discussion “To stay ahead of your competition” on the Skill sets required for a Digital Marketing professional. This content has been created by Staff and Students of Web Marketing Academy, Bangalore.
This podcast speaks elaborately on below summarized points. These have helped me to overcome the challenges during my interviews and I feel this would be useful for anyone who is looking to make a career in Digital Marketing.
1. Content and Content Marketing
Content: Benjamin Franklin has rightly said… “Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing”. We need to accept undoubtedly that “Content is King”. But how is it related to Digital Marketing? The illustration below depicts the role of Content in Digital Marketing and the content creation lifecycle. Content has become a strategic asset for a person or a company and is an important component flowing across the digital, social and mobile web.
Fig 1: Role of Content in Digital Marketing
Fig 2: Lifecycle of Content creation
Content Marketing: Focuses on creating, distributing valuable, relevant and consistent content to attract and retain customer/audience. Implement SEO for your content.
Content Marketing tools: Be it writing blogs / presentations / boosting the brand / poster creation / etc. you just can’t afford to miss the little tools which help us get the content created and shared.
- Canva – This one-stop graphical design platform gives a wide assortment of design tools for all business and personal requirements
- Adobe Illustrator-Enables the user with free hand drawing and develops creativity
- Adobe spark-Free visual storytelling tool
- Pic to chart-Visual representation has taken over the world of content
- Skitch – Take screen shots/access photos, edit, annotate by adding them to a simple palette of drawing. Comes handy when few sections of the images needs to be highlighted
- And many more…
Last but not the least our mobile phones have apps like Instagram, YouTube and others, which serves as content creator and can be created and shared “on the go”.
2. Adapting to ever changing trends in Digital Marketing
Change is the process of life and Digital marketing is no different. It’s for us to decide whether to change or get stagnated at a particular role or Job. In today’s world, Digital Marketing trends are rapidly changing and we have no choice but to accept and implement them in Digital Marketing strategy. The changes could emanate from the team, manager, or company but one need to be adaptable and has to follow the global mantra “Only constant in this universe is Change”.
Social media platform like Facebook, LinkedIn, and Twitter, etc. help us keep updated on the changes and trends.
In this digital era content decays at a very fast rate. Information keeps coming and changes by the minute. Be the first one to adapt and make sure to create content that adds value to your profile. Snapchat videos can be created on the fly, which is a raw and unedited piece of content. Even this is fine, do not wait for the content to be scrubbed and polished before sharing it with others, else it may be too late and will become stale information. Is there a hurry to be the first? …certainly yes! So do it today and do it now…else you will miss the bus.
4. Learn how to overcome negativity
Thanks to the emergence of Social Media. Whether its Facebook or Twitter your every move is followed and tracked by people and they express their thoughts with Like/dislike, Emoticons, replies, etc. How to deal with negativity is a vital survival technique and how to overcome without being affected is a challenge which needs to be dealt wisely.
Be it your team members, seniors, family or social media, be open for criticism. Watch “Price of Shame” an inspiring TED talk by Monica Lewinsky, wherein she highlights the huge negative campaign that was heaped on her and how she withstood a culture of humiliation. Whether its Facebook
5. Obsession with certifications
Certification helps recruiters to shortlist your profile from many others, as it gives an extra edge while competing for a job. To summarize:
- Practical knowledge is vital for Digital Marketing and implementing the acquired knowledge is what that counts during the job.
- Case studies give lot of insights and help to come up with alternative solutions.
- Introspect, decide and work on the aspects that you are not confident
Certification is not a ticket to the job, but just additional qualifier which brings much more confidence to the employer during interviews.
6. Presence on platforms
Imagine your CV has links which shows your digital marketing presence on all media platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Slideshare, YouTube etc. Such a profile presents a very strong case and is one of the area which an employer would be interested in.
So why delay, go ahead and:
- Share your thoughts on Twitter
- Share your content on Slide Share
- Record a video on topics of Digital Marketing
- Go live on a classroom session/topic on Podcast
- Share insights on LinkedIn
- Be active on Quora
- Start blogging frequently
Make your presence felt in as many Digital platforms as you can.
7. Be privy to Apps
Learn to use apps to make life easier. Mobile Marketing will be the next big thing and per recent survey the prediction is that in next five years 80% of the phones across the world will be smart phones.
Easier ways to keep tab on apps are:
- Check Trending apps on Google play store
- Check the usability statistics
- Check the rating and reviews
Tune into the episode on the “First Podcast network “which have been bifurcated for different genres.
8. Presentation and communication skills
Let us take a scenario where during an interview if you are asked to present a topic related to what you have learnt in Digital Marketing, then you need to communicate very well with all the knowledge you have and that too in a convincing manner. So “Anything which isn’t presented well doesn’t sell”, whether its dish, product or person. The key points to remember are:
- Work on the presentation skills
- Effectively communicate in all discussions and interactions
9. Analyze the predictions and get updated
A great way to keep up the pace with Digital world is to have an eye on the trends of the top tier companies. Look at the bits of information which helps to know which way the world is moving. Information may come in different forms and sizes like Quarterly reports, Patents filed, press releases, etc. Visit web sites which give prediction of social media and then channelize where you want to be in the digital marketing space. For example, Tesla’s interest in solar farm project, Apples foray into Health Segment, Googles VR project are few of the examples of things that may shape the world in coming days. It is better to keep watch on all interesting and newer stuffs happening around us.
10. Learn on the fly
It’s a digital era and everything happens instantly in this space. So it is “Now or never”. It is fine if there are few hits and misses but at least you are on the path of adapting to trends. Important things to note:
- Record /document every bit of things that are done
- Keep few of your podcasts and videos handy to show it to the interviewer. This serves as a proof of your presence on media.
11. Get things done
There are multiple solutions to each and every problem that comes in our way. Think and provide / suggest options of how to deal/ approach a problem. Don’t hesitate in taking risks, if required seek help. Nowadays it is preferred to get things done quickly rather than solving the problem in a perfect way which mostly takes longer time.
12. Make Mistakes and learn from it
Henry ford has rightly said that “The only real mistake is the one from which we learn nothing”. Stop nagging for perfection, keep learning from mistakes. If you record your mistake and learn from it, that is even better as it brings in more credentials to your profile
In conclusion, Digital Marketers need to develop and strengthen their presence online by delivering value in the form of relevance and quality of their content. Content marketing and storytelling are as old as human beings. We always need to convey important information in useful ways. Social media is the latest evolution in the way we can share our stories. Go for it and make the maximum use of it to enhance your careers.
Author: Poornima Ravishankar
Editor: Madhur Phadnis
Web Marketing Academy in conversation with Kiruba Shankar!
Web Marketing Academy welcomed and were honoured to have Mr. Kiruba Shankar interact with our students and share his valuable experience!
He is a man of multiple talents with being a Social Media Entrepreneur, Professor of Digital Marketing, an Author, Podcaster as well as an Organic farmer! He also is a CEO of Business Blogging and F5ive Technology.
The discussion started off as Mr. Kiruba Shankar shared a very important tip- “the one thing that separates professionals from the also-rans’ is the constant ability to keep upgrading your skills”.
He also expressed his deep admiration towards the WMA when he saw that the event was being covered live on Facebook by three students, a classic testament as to why the academy is a great place to learn. Moving on further to talk about the digital field, as a professor the good element he noticed, irrespective of background and no matter what line of work one chooses, be it finance, marketing, tech, was that the digital media will continue to play an important role.
Web Marketing Academy students and our Facebook Live audience were encouraged to share their thoughts and ask questions.
Q&A Session with Kiruba Shankar.
- What are the skills required to be a Digital Marketing Consultant?
“Understanding” is the key word. As a digital marketing consultant, understanding the need and demands of the client is the first vital step. Success is reached if you can help him digitally to meet his objectives. Every strategy, technique and trick known must be used to improve the client’s sales.
- What is the scope of Digital Marketing to help one become an entrepreneur?
Digital marketing isn’t very unique. There is nothing called exclusively digital. It is the same old traditional marketing concepts applied to the digital marketing as the marketing principles remain unchanged.
There are many companies great at marketing and has ‘n’ number of professionals working for the same. But what they mainly lack, is the ability to adapt to tie the digital world and the usage of newer technologies to put forth their thoughts and grab the public’s attention. Therefore, with drastic growth in newer technologies, digital field has been beautifully embraced.
When you master the skills and adapt well there will be no shortage of people who will pay you for it. Then can you start your own firm.
- How will past experiences in traditional marketing help a person on digital grounds?
The luckiest souls in this field are the ones who have already had an experience in traditional marketing. Experience is what matters which is the most difficult thing to get in this real world. All that you need to do is, hold on to your past experiences and enhance the same using the digital. A traditional marketer clearly knows what the objectives are and what kind of audiences are to be targeted, hence digital gives you an extra shine.
- How will digital marketing impact rural marketing?
Mobiles phones are getting cheaper day by day. Rural areas will soon have access to mobile phones with more features. Reliance jio, the big news today and other networks like Vodafone provides 4G data at cheaper rates, so video being a powerful medium will grow and spread widely. Villagers need not even know a word in English for this as there are information and videos available in all regional languages today. They are smart and quick in finding better employment opportunities. Rural marketing will be a great benefit for people on the both sides i.e marketers and villagers.
He also pressed upon the practical implementation of the knowledge they gain in class or elsewhere. It is important to put learning into action to know what would work or not. This mainly helps an individual learn and makes them think on what, how to do things better. Lastly, he signed off by saying feel free to make mistakes! Mistakes are obvious and necessary to learn and move forward.
We at Web Marketing Academy would like to thank Mr. Kiruba Shankar for taking out time to talk to our students and sharing invaluable insights with all of us.
Note: You can read more about Mr. Kiruba Shankar at http://www.kiruba.com/
Author: Divya S
Editor: Madhur Phadnis
Wondering how to get hired in a Digital Marketing Agency?
A recent article on The Wall Street Journal dated, Aug. 30, 2016 by KATE DAVIDSON quoted
A recent LinkedIn survey of 291 hiring managers found 58% say the lack of soft skills among job candidates is limiting their company’s productivity.
In a Wall Street Journal survey of nearly 900 executives last year, 92% said soft skills were equally important or more important than technical skills. But 89% said they have a very or somewhat difficult time finding people with the requisite attributes. Many say it’s a problem spanning age groups and experience levels. read the entire article here
Get Your Foundation Right:
Before you embark on your Digital journey, pause and get your foundation right. For instance:
- Invest a quality portion of your daily time- Invest time in improving upon your Inter-personal skills. Having good interpersonal skills will always help you achieve success in any organisation you join. To sharpen your soft skills you can browse through these interesting articles– Why Soft Skills Matter
– Coaching your directs on Inter-personal skills🙁 An Audio file to which you can tune-in while doing your routine work)
- Define your career objectives and goals– While improving upon your skills also spare some time to envision where exactly do you see yourself in an agency in the 1st month, quarter, year and 5 years. To understand the significance of knowing your goals and objectives, you can read. Resource:
- Basic digital marketing skills- To attain the basic digital marketing skills, it is extremely important that you keep a tap on latest developments happening in the ever-evolving Digital space. To know more you can browse through-
– Why you need a formal education in digital marketing
– Invest in getting certified. Resources : – Google Adwords, Google Analytics, Inbound marketing certification, Hoot Suite University
- Fine tune your digital marketing skills – Learning and getting certified for Digital & Social media marketing skills is not enough; to stand out among the rest you have to keep exploring and learning. For instance: Knowing the best practices of yesterday’s is not enough, you have got to keep a tap on as many latest developments as you can. The digital space we all share is dynamically surprising with several technology breakthroughs happening every single day.
– example: Instagram Stories, Facebook Live Videos
- Spend time reading latest Digital marketing centric books- To become a good Digital Copy/Content Writer, you would first have to become an avid reader. So, I suggest, you get your hands onto every creative piece circulated online by people from across the globe. This will help you gain an in-depth understanding of the global perspective about things that matter. Once you get hired in an agency, you can use these insights and digitally market your product or service accordingly. To know more browse through-
– Social Media/Digital Marketing Books to read in 2016
– Digital Marketing Blogs every Marketer should read
- To have a better understanding, watch– To have a better understanding, watchHow to get Hired & Stand Out in Digital Marketing in 2016 (VIDEO)
After attaining the theoretical knowledge and understanding of Digital Marketing, it is essential to take certain preparatory measures to make yourself agency ready.
- Your Identity Online – Start with rebranding your online identity, embellishing it with newly attained skills and academic mastery. It would be foolish to ignore the fact that your potential employers would always try to ‘Google’ you prior to contacting you. Therefore, it becomes extremely important that you maintain the sanity and the aesthetics of your online portals, including Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, websites, and blogs.To get a better idea, I suggest you do a simple Google search for your name and location, and later scan through the results to locate areas you need to work upon. To build your online identity, start sharing, commenting, and reaching out with your individual take on the trending buzz.
- Your Resume – Before you drop another employment inquiry mail with your resume attached, make sure you have satisfactory answers to the following questions-
-How interesting is your resume?
– How long is it?
An ideal resume should comprehensively present your career objective, skill set, academic background, work experience, portfolio links, interests & hobbies, and most importantly your contact details. And, the length should not be more than 1-2 pages. To know more navigate to tip# 28 from this link- more resources
- Read extensively– Make sure that you set aside 30 minutes time, read this, bookmark and share it with others : Job Interviews in Digital Marketing – 52 Things you SHOULD be prepared with
Research– Before you start targeting agencies, make sure you conduct an in-depth research whereafter you have an extensive list of top digital marketing agencies, their company portfolio, their USP (unique selling point), their social outreach. Observe how the market their product and service, how they manage their brands on social media and what all mediums they use to reach out to the audiences.
Accordingly, document your observations and send across an expressive mail to share the same with the agencies. This can help you create a strong and favourable impression which could eventually help you in getting hired.
The Power of LinkedIn– Every social portal offers a unique set of networking possibilities. For any aspiring professional, LinkedIn is usually one of the most recommended sites. After all, it is one of the most powerful platforms for professional networking.
After having recognized Aditi Gulati’s enthusiastic potential and her enriched experience, we offered her a work opportunity and to your happy surprise, she will soon be working with us as our Content Marketing Strategist. Just like her, there are thousands of other LinkedIn users who everyday extract great benefit from networking smartly.
Your LinkedIn profile is one of powerful tool, be pro active, participate, network and build an audience.
- Connect- Reach out to Digital Marketing personnel who have enriched agency experience. Scan through their details both: academic and professional to understand what all you need to equip yourself with. Check out if their agency is sponsoring some event, if yes, then further check out the participation criteria and try attending event/s. This practice will help you go to do the offline networking which is undoubtedly rewarding.
- Speakers in Conferences/Events– Attending events can be very fruitful; you can directly connect with the some of the most influential Marketers, as most agencies count on industry experts for delivering insightful speeches at their event. Some of the industry conferences you should keep a tap on include, Social Media Week and Ad Tech.
- LinkedIn Pulse Post – Now, I have got to mention LinkedIn again. Have you heard of LinkedIn Pulse, yet? Have you ever posted quality content on Pulse? How many posts have you published so far? These are few questions which your potential employer most probably will ask you. So, start utilizing the free publishing space; Pulse powered by LinkedIn and voice your observations and opinions about trending developments in the digital space. This helps create a positive impression in the minds of you profile viewers.
- Sample Digital Marketing strategy– Come up with a sample digital marketing strategy and share it with successful agency experts to know their feedback. This will help the experts understand and recognize your enthusiasm for becoming a part of the agency.
- Attain problem-solving and crisis management ability– No doubt, Digital Marketing Agencies are one of the most exciting places to work in, but the fact that there is ever-pouring deadline pressure, is undeniable. So, if you till now do not have problem-solving and crisis management ability, try attaining it. And, once you gain it, do not forget to enlist it in your skill set.
- Communication skills– If you have to make yourself Agency ready then you got to possess sharp communications skills. Because one day or the other, you might be asked to deliver successful pitches to your potential clients or present your agency’s business strategy and that is why you have got to communicate like a pro.
- Try attain additional skills– Apart from attaining essential digital marketing skills, try gaining an expertise on additional skills including the ability to organize/coordinate an event, to make simple on the spot fixes like website tag implementation, basic image/video/audio, etc. So, basically try learning how to become the hands-on go to person in any situation.
And, above all, be humble, most companies these days prefer hiring candidates with extraordinary attitude rather than aptitude. So, good luck to your digital job hunt! In case of any inquiry feel free to reach out to us at email@example.com or just give me a call: +91 9731388721
(Side note: If you are really want a job in any agency, you will get it. You have to hustle and prove them you badly need that job!)
Hope this helps!
3 Lovely Indian Ladies Rocking the Digital Marketing World
Be it in Olympics, Politics or Analytics, women are game changer in all aspects.
Tune into the FIR 65th episode of podcast network brought by the students and staff of Web Marketing Academy on 3 Women ruling their digital careers. Listen to the entire show here: FIR Podcast Network/Digital-India
Aditi, a senior faculty at Web marketing academy talks about Women @ work
She talks from a perspective of a teacher as well as the challenges and opportunities faced by women.
Valuable tips from her are:
- Need to make time for oneself for various day-to day activities including work.
- Keeping pace with the technological changes while teaching the latest at the same time.
- Be organized – helps to prioritize the work and executing it efficiently.
- Support from family and friends helps women to outshine everywhere. Strive to be above average.
Aditi’s mantra to Excel:
- Get good training
- Practice, Practice, Practice…
- Read voraciously
- Network with the community
Listen to the entire show or download the podcast
How Ms.Monica has gained a strong foothold in the Digital Marketing space.
Monica highlights about:
- Increase in awareness of Digital Marketing among women and need for a conducive environment.
- Scope, opportunity, Environmental constraints that affects the productivity of Women.
- Achieving right balance in the family and at workplace.
- Time management skills and discipline that are perquisites for a job.
- Opportunities for women to pursue their interests by choosing different streams in the gamut of Digital Marketing.
- Digital Marketing challenges from the Individual and Industry perspective.
- Challenges women face in a freelance job and ways to overcome it.
- Creating stimulating groups and discussing aspects of overcoming specific challenges of working from home.
- Tips on how to:
- Get into Digital Marketing
- Start practicing Digital Marketing
- Gain more experience for professionals who are already into Digital Marketing
- Need to update the skill sets constantly
- Shedding the inhibition and start experimenting with the latest trends in the Industry.
Finally, Monica quotes “Let your ego go as you grow”
The session with Sejal highlights the importance of Women workforce in the
Sejal started as a media planner at Madsion Communicatons, then moved into Branding & Marketing with The Times of India. She enhanced her career by moving into the IT sector, into Marketing, Communications & Digital roles. Currently she is working as a Global Social Media Lead for a Digital division of a IT MNC.
Sejal highlights the opportunities, challenges and constraints for women in Digital marketing space:
This digital era has brought about a certain mindset shift, opening up several opportunities for women who want to work.
The Digital era has brought about the concept of co-working spaces and flexi-hours enabling greater flexibility. Challenges to keep abreast with technology and the thirst to venture & explore new platforms.
Today its more convenient to connect with digital marketing influencers across the globe and also keep yourself abreast with the latest platforms and their use.
Some productivity tools that Sejal uses include her all time favorite Evernote, a task manager – to-doist, dropbox paper and Feedly. She highly recommends Steve Dottos channel DottoTech on Youtube, Carl Pulliens playlists on Evernote & To-doist to get some hands on tutorials on using these platforms.
She also knows that working with the right people is what makes all the difference in ones career. Someone who would be a mentor, provide the right guidance and is open to ideas and experimenting them. Someone who can teach you to fail gracefully and be successful humbly. She has been extremely lucky to have found such people in her career, and is motivated immensely to be like them as well.
Lastly, her advice for:
Beginners/ Freshers in the digital marketing space : Keep an open mind, get hands on experience working on tools. Keep abreast with all the latest happenings in the digital marketing field. Listen more & talk less.
Mid-level digital marketing professional – To know DM in & out. To understand the implications of analytics. To network and attend industry events, so as to increase your knowledge and be in the know.
Senior Professionals on DM: Be a guide and mentor. Share your professional experiences without hesitating, so others can learn. Participate as speakers in events to share your knowledge with others. Be open to experimenting & not scared to fail if something does not go the way you planned. Take your team with you, because if they dont grow you will not too.
You can share your feedback at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Podcast Manager & Podcast Editor : Bharani Dharan
Host: Suresh & Madhur
Show notes: Poornima
Blogs, Books & Websites Every Digital Marketer Should Follow (UPDATED 2016)
Digital Marketing Books to Read in 2016
Question from our Students : What books do I need to read in order to stay updated with the current digital marketing trends ?
Answer: The Internet is a Sea of Information, but here are some hand picked resources that will help you to stay up-to-date with the current marketing trends
Welcome to the 43rd episode of Digital India Podcast on FIR Podcast Network. This show is ‘Weekly Updates’ brought to you by staff and students of Web Marketing Academy
Prefer Listening. Here is an audio version for you:
- Ask Gary Vee Audio Book: http://bit.ly/askgaryaudio.
Amazon Link: http://www.amazon.in/
AskGaryVee-Entrepreneurs- Leadership-Social-Awareness/ dp/0062273124/ref=asap_bc?ie= UTF8
- Hug Your Haters: http://www.jaybaer.com/hug-
your-haters/Amazon Link: http://www.amazon.in/Hug- Your-Haters-Complaints- Customers-ebook/dp/B00Z8VTP5M
- Mark Schaefer, Content Code: http://www.amazon.in/The-
Content-Code-essential- strategies/dp/0692372334My Interview with Mark Schaefer: https://www.youtube.com/watch? v=8lAO9Z32tKM
Audio Book: http://www.audible.com/
pd/Business/The-Content-Code- Audiobook/B0124F05FS/ref=a_ search_c4_1_1_srTtl?qid= 1458906078&sr=1-1
- Everyone Writes Amazon: http://www.amazon.in/
Everybody-Writes-Creating- Ridiculously-Content/dp/ 1501200607 Audio Book: http://www.audible.com/ pd/Business/Everybody-Writes- Audiobook/B00PKOQM76/ref=a_ search_c4_1_1_srTtl?qid= 1458906114&sr=1-1
- Jab Jab Jab Right Hook: http://www.amazon.in/Jab-
- Content Inc: Audio book: http://www.audible.com/
pd/Business/Content-Inc- Audiobook/B015GF23EY/ref=a_ search_c4_1_1_srTtl?qid= 1458906245&sr=1-1
Inc-Entrepreneurs-Successful- Businesses/dp/125958965X/ref= sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid= 1458906269&sr=1-1&keywords= content+inc
- Resonate: http://www.duarte.com/book/resonate-legacy/
Amazon : http://www.amazon.com/gp/
product/0470632011?ie=UTF8& tag=slideology-20&linkCode= as2&camp=1789&creative=9325& creativeASIN=0470632011
- The Mobile Playbook: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0470632011?ie=UTF8&tag=slideology-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=0470632011
- Power Forward: http://www.amazon.in/Power-Forward-My-Presidential-Education/dp/1476763348
- Audacity to Win: http://www.amazon.in/Audacity-Win-Obama-Party-Limbaugh/dp/0143118080/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1459179038&sr=1-1&keywords=audacity+to+win
You can share your feedback at: email@example.com
Editor : Bharani
Which websites/blogs should I read to get information about Digital Marketing, SEO?
- Google Webmaster Guidelines: The first place to find information on SEO best practices. Google has pretty extensive document on where to start and how to go about it: http://support.google.com/webmasters/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=35769&topic=1724121&ctx=topic
- · Google official blog: Official weblog, with news of new products, events and glimpses of life inside Google http://googleblog.blogspot.in
- Google webmaster blog: The official weblog on Google crawling and indexing, and on webmaster tools, including the Sitemaps facility: http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot.in/
- Google webmaster central Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/GoogleWebmasterHelp (search for specific topics using the search within this channel feature)
- Search related news and updates:
http://searchengineland.com/ – One of the best resources related to search. Daily, weekly, monthly updates ( an hour a day in SEL will keep you upto speed)
http://www.seomoz.org/blog – Another great resource for search. Watch their White Board Friday Videos
http://blog.hubspot.com/ – One of the best B2B Search and social media updates. While you are there check out one of the awesome tool, which can grade your website for free: http://marketing.grader.com/
http://www.kaushik.net/avinash/ – For those who don’t know about Avinash, he is the Analytics Guru. Watch his Videos, you will be amazed. And don’t forget his 2 books: Web Analytics 2.0 and Web Analytics an hour a day
http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/ – Matt Cutts, one of our all time favorite, a Google engineer, He also has his videos in Google webmaster central You Tube Channel
http://www.distilled.net/blog/ – SEO Blog
See what others say about WMA India
Want to learn and get certified in Digital Marketing , SEO, Adwords and Analytics ? Talk to us and schedule a consultation with us. We love to talk about our passion (Digital marketing) Give us a call : 9731388721