Digital Marketing Career Path in India (Updated Feb 2022)
Average Salary for Digital Marketers across Indian Metros
|Job Roles||Average Yearly Salary in INR|
|Digital Marketing/SEO/PPC/Social Media Fresher (0-1 year experience)||2,50,000 – 4,00,000|
|Digital Marketing/SEO/PPC/Social Media Specialist (1-4 years experience)||4,00,000 – 6,00,000|
|Digital Marketing/SEO/PPC/Social Media Team Lead (4-6 years experience)||6,00,000 – 8,00,000|
|Digital Marketing/SEO/PPC/Social Media Manager(6-8 years experience)||8,00,000 – 10,00,000|
|Digital Marketing Manager(8-10 years experience)||10,00,000 – 12,00,000|
|Digital Marketing Manager with Marketing Background(10-12 years experience)||16,00,000 – 19,00,000|
|Digital Marketing Manager Non-Marketing Background(10-12 years experience)||12,00,000 – 15,00,000|
|Head of Marketing online/offline Marketing Background(10-12 years experience)||35,00,000 – 50,00,000|
- 0-1 years of experience: Digital Marketing Analyst
- 1-3 years of experience: Digital Marketing Specialist/Expert
- 3-5 years of experience: Digital Marketing Team Lead/Asst Manager
- 5 years of experience: Digital Marketing Manager
- 8 years: Digital Marketing Strategist
- 10 years and above: Chief Marketing Office
Feb 2022: LinkedIn Jobs on the Rise 2022
- On No.7: Paid Search Manager or Search Engine Marketing Marketing (SEM) Manager
- No.8: User experience researchers
- No.15: Back end developers
(Courtesy of Web Marketing Academy, Rated Best Digital Marketing Training Institute in Bangalore)
It’s Saturday morning. My wife asks me, “Do you need anything other than Red Bull?” I quickly check for shampoo, toothpaste, razor, etc., and reply, “Yes, one Gillette shaving gel.” She adds it to her shopping cart on the Big Basket mobile app, picks the time slot for delivery on Sunday morning, 9 am-12noon.
A few years back, our Saturday routine included a trip to the mall for groceries and sundry shopping. We’d head to the local store, search for items on spread out shelves, load our cart while wheeling it around, stand in the billing queue, wait for the elevator, push the cart back to the parking lot, unload the groceries into the car, drive back home in traffic, haul the bags to the 4th floor and then drop down exhausted!
The farthest I need to go to get things done today is to my smartphone.
Updated Further Readings about Scope of Digital Marketing in India in 2021
Here are the latest trends we see at Web Marketing Academy: (During COVID 19)
- August 2020: I got a call an HR from a Social Media Agency. She said,” Hi Suresh, I have emailed you the details about Job openings at our agency.We are so happy with Supriya and Shiffa’s performance. In fact, Shiffa is the one who is coming up with proposals, presenting, and closing the deals. (Supriya and Shiffa are alumni of Web Marketing Academy)We are currently looking for only ALUMNI from your academy to join us for roles in digital marketing”The role is Strategy Analysts and the package will be 7.5 Lacs—————————————————————————————
- September 2020:
The current batch students who were about to complete the course, out of five students, three already accepted the job offer from two companies, with a package of 3 Lacs and 2.5 Lacs
The fourth student declined the offer and waiting for a better package. She got an offer for an Internship, her package for Digital Marketing Internship is Rs 23,000
The fifth student started her freelancing WFH. She got her first blogging project for Rs 4000 per blog post
- October 2020:Every week, we send out the job requirements through email and WhatsApp. October month, a few job openings
It’s an online world and e-commerce is leading
If it’s a movie we want to watch, we get tickets from Bookmyshow. For electronics, it’s Flipkart or Amazon. Even jewelry is available online, take Caratlane. For furniture, there’s Fab Furnish, Pepperfry, Urban Ladder, and more. Even dog food gets delivered home.
- According to Yourstory, “Last year in Q1, startups in India had raised close to $450 million. That means the 2015 Q1 figures show a 300% growth in the amount raised. There were 300 deals in the entire year in 2014 – half of that many deals were made in Q1 2015. In India, we saw 147 deals from January to March, declared investments totaled at $1.7 billion-plus around 30 deals with an undisclosed amount.” read the entire study here
That’s e-commerce in India for you. And it’s only part of the story.
Here’s how & why our students got started their career in Digital Marketing:
We’re talking Digital India today. But organizations across industries have been waking to the high ROI of digital marketing in the last few years now.
- Per reports on Digital Advertising Spend from CMO Council, India, 2014 – “In India, the biggest beneficiary of advertising spend in 2014 will be digital advertising, which is expected to grow by 35 percent over the Rs 3,042 crore (US$ 507.41 million) spent in 2013.”
Take any startup today – digital marketing is empowering them to compete against larger, conventional players at a far lower cost. Larger players in IT, healthcare, hospitality, etc., are realizing digital media is ideal to engage and nurture customers for referrals and retention. Small mom-and-pop stores have also jumped on the bandwagon with tools like Whatsapp for customer communication, offers, and sales.
The wide gap in demand and supply of digital marketing jobs
There is a significant gap in the demand and supply of digital marketers today. Digital or social media as a marketing subject is not covered in-depth (if covered at all) in most MBA classes. How does a new marketer master the channels that are reaping rich rewards for businesses all over the world?
That’s where we come in.
Digital Marketing experience at WMA
The gap between digital marketing jobs and skills is exactly what we are addressing at WMA. Our vision is to educate those who want to understand, experience, and implement the tools of this trade. And our goal is to produce quality digital marketers who can take up digital marketing responsibilities with gusto.
Understanding digital marketing
In simplest terms, digital marketing is the art of attracting people in need of your product/service, bringing them to your website or other channels, conveying the message of how you/your company can fulfill their needs, converting them, and making them happy. Earlier, these people used traditional channels but now they spend most of their time in digital and social media.
The need for digital marketing
Digital and social media has changed the way we communicate, research, interact, build relationships, and do business. Our behavior has evolved – the way we do day to day activities on our mobile, use apps, website, and ease of access to information. Almost any market we target is spending more time online. If we want to target them, we need to understand how each channel work.
Breadth and depth of digital marketing
Digital marketing channels are not limited to Google search, social media, email, mobile, content, and analytics.
Digital marketing is either:
- done in-house (companies might hire people for their own or clients’ digital marketing needs)
- outsourced to specialized digital marketing agencies
- given to consultants
If you are getting into digital, you could work in either capacity.
Hubspot has this amazing Resource related to Digital Marketing Interview Questions
Digital marketing channels
The channels again could be:
- Search (Google, Bing )
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO) / Free listings
- Search Marketing – Pay Per Click (PPC), Display ads, Google Adwords, video ads, YouTube ads, rich media ads, remarketing
- Social media – Earned or Free
- Social media marketing – Paid ads such as Facebook ads, Twitter Ads
- Content – Content is not a channel, content is what goes into your website, blog, social media channels, ads, etc
- Email – Organically built email list
- Mobile – Mobile is not a channel, but a platform
- Web Analytics – Google Analytics, Insights
Digital marketing roles and pay scale
Disclaimer: The content we share here might be based on our research, understanding, it might vary from Industry, region, company, please do your own research.
We will take each of the platforms/channels and the career path applies to all.
- Search/Social/Digital Marketing Analyst/Executive (0-1 years) Salary – Rs 20,000 – 40,000 per month
(Please note, this is an average of what WMA graduates get.)
2600 Search Analyst Jobs in India http://www.indeed.co.in/jobs?q=seo+executive&l=india
- Search/Social/Digital Marketing Specialist (1-3 years ) Salary – 4-5 lacs per annum.
Around 850 Jobs in India: http://www.indeed.co.in/jobs?q=search+specialist&l=india
- Search/Social/Digital marketing strategist/Team lead ( 3-4 years) 5- 6 lacs per annum.
Around 200 Job Openings http://www.indeed.co.in/jobs?q=digital+strategist&l=india
- Search/Social/Digital marketing account manager – (5 – 8 Years ) 7-10 lacs per annum.
Around 2000 jobs http://www.indeed.co.in/jobs?q=digital+marketing+manager&l=india
- Search/Social/Digital marketing – VP- (8-15 years) 12-50 lacs per annum.
Around 60 Jobs: http://www.indeed.co.in/jobs?q=digital+marketing+VP&l=india
When you start your career, you might be specializing in one area such as SEO. But based on your interest or business need, you can also learn and get into social media, PPC, analytics, mobile, content, etc.
For a senior role like Digital marketing managers, companies will expect you to know all the channels, manage a team, allocate budget and work with an agency if necessary.
Now that you have all the information, you can get started on your career in Digital Marketing. I hope you found this article useful. You can also give us a call at 9731388721 or walk into our office to learn more. We would love to talk to you about your careers in digital marketing.
Want to know how to get started in Digital Marketing in India? read this article: https://www.webmarketingacademy.in/how-to-get-into-digital-marketing-india/
More Resources for Digital Marketing Career: