Digital Marketing is in high demand & a trendy career option in 2020.
Digital Marketing is at number 18, according to LinkedIn’s post “The Skills Companies Need Most in 2019”
UPDATED August 2020: A few links and resources added.
- Google’s 2019 Research Report (Helps understand trends for 2020)
- LinkedIn has published a post: The Skills Companies Need Most in 2019
Today we are living in a fast phase life, technology is getting smarter and the way we search, communicate, buy things are rapidly changing the behavior too are changing due to cheaper smartphones, internet, voice assistants like Google Assistant, Alexa, and other devices.
Here is recent research by Google:
Google’s 2019 Research Report
“This year consumer journeys became increasingly complex. New channels of media consumption emerged, traditional industries went digital, and standards in privacy and digital wellbeing were raised. This is a review of the insights we uncovered in 2019, based on Google and YouTube data and research. Our analysis uncovered five key themes that underpin the changes we saw this year, all of which are trends we expect to continue into 2020” Source: Think with Google
LinkedIn has published a post: The Skills Companies Need Most in 2020
In that list: (All these are part of Digital Marketing Course)
Number 3. Analytical Reasoning
Number 7. Video Production
Number 10. Audio Production
Number 14. Social Media Marketing
Number 18. Digital Marketing
Read the entire post here:
The opportunities & Scope for a Digital Marketing professional are huge in India right now. A fresh graduate can easily obtain a Digital Marketing Analyst role with a salary close to 25K per month to 6 Lacs per annum, while experienced professionals can command remunerations in the range of 8 lakhs -- 40 lakhs per annum.
Before we get into the scope and how to get started, let’s look at some trends. See table below (Internal Data)
Average Salary for Digital Marketers across Indian Metros
|Job Roles||Average Yearly Salary in INR|
|Digital Marketing/SEO/PPC/Social Media Fresher (0-1 year experience)||2,50,000 -- 4,00,000|
|Digital Marketing/SEO/PPC/Social Media Specialist (1-4 years experience)||4,00,000 -- 6,00,000|
|Digital Marketing/SEO/PPC/Social Media Team Lead (4-6 years experience)||6,00,000 -- 8,00,000|
|Digital Marketing/SEO/PPC/Social Media Manager(6-8 years experience)||8,00,000 -- 10,00,000|
|Digital Marketing Manager(8-10 years experience)||10,00,000 -- 12,00,000|
|Digital Marketing Manager with Marketing Background(10-12 years experience)||16,00,000 -- 19,00,000|
|Digital Marketing Manager Non-Marketing Background(10-12 years experience)||12,00,000 -- 15,00,000|
|Head of Marketing online/offline Marketing Background(10-12 years experience)||35,00,000 -- 50,00,000|
A Google trend shows the growth of key terms: Digital marketing. In the last 2 years, it has skyrocketed similarly the term social media has equally hiked.
Today Digital marketing requires a lot of skills than how it was a few years back. When I started my career in 2002, it was completely different. Scroll down to see the list of skills required with accompanying free resources & tools.
The competition is high. Everyone wants to get into digital marketing. From our internal data (students at) HR professional, sales & marketing, customer support, IT professionals, developers, web designers, entrepreneurs, bloggers, content writers, stay at home parents, fresh graduates.
Apart from regular digital marketing skills. Here are a few other skills you might need to Get Started in Digital Marketing in 2020 in India
- Soft skills
- Writing -- For blogs, SEO, Ad copies, social media descriptions, captions, comments
- A presentation including public speaking
- working with teams
- Leadership qualities including empathy, EQ
- Working under stress
- Training the team
- Socializing skills
- How to pitch to a client or your boss or team
- Technical skills including basic HTML
- Design skills like basic image editing- Don’t worry you don’t need to learn photoshop, learn to use apps like http://Canva.com
- Video editing skills again use apps like Adobe spark video, Quikapp
- You pick any form of content whichever you are good at and be good at it like for some it’s written content, for others it might be audio, for some they might be good in front of a camera, or visual content whatever you are comfortable with the pick that and create content
- Basic excel skills
- Google analytics -- knowing and interpreting the data
In this article, you will find the latest Digital Marketing Trends, Scope, Resources
How you too can start/upgrade your Career (UPDATED 2020)
Here is how our students transforming to Digital Marketers
Question: Is Digital Marketing a good career? Here is my detailed QUORA answer: https://qr.ae/TUG6Lx
How to Get Started in Digital Marketing
- You don’t have to quit your current career to get started in digital
- Start by reading digital marketing blogs
- Attend digital marketing events, webinars, meetups in your city
- Attend conferences related to digital marketing and new media
- Start your own blog. (Time to start – 5 minutes)
- Take the Inbound Marketing Certification from Hubspot for Free
- Is it worth taking up online digital marketing certification courses?
Want expert suggestions about your Digital Marketing Career -- Call Us @ 8792299538
To cite an example, one of our own students, who had an experience of 8 years in a traditional Marketing role, quit the job to take our Digital Marketing course. Two months after the course, he had an offer from a Fortune 500 company of 17 lakhs per annum. There are many more examples like this. If you look at the job listings on LinkedIn, about 20-25% of the jobs listed are in the Digital Marketing realm. This is no surprise as the Digital Marketing industry is growing at a fast pace and in need of skilled professionals.Unlike a few years ago, it is a bit of a challenge to stay up to date in the Digital Marketing industry today. It is no longer enough to read a few blogs and the occasional book. This is probably enough to have a superficial knowledge of the industry and is certainly a good starting point. But it is nowhere near enough if you want to become a skilled professional. The industry is so dynamic that by the time a book is published, what is written in it will be outdated.
The question is How do I start a career in Digital Marketing?
Here are a few ways to get started in Digital Marketing
- My Medium post on A Complete Beginners Guide to Digital Marketing: A Beginners Guide to Digital Marketing
- Digital Marketing Career Path in India: https://www.webmarketingacademy.in/digital-marketing-career-path-india/
- Cost of Digital Marketing Course Fees in Bangalore: https://www.webmarketingacademy.in/digital-marketing-course-fees-in-india-with-options-resources/