Digital Marketing is in high demand & a smart career option in 2023
Digital Marketing is at number 9, according to LinkedIn’s post “The Skills Companies Need Most in 2023”
UPDATED Feb 2023: A few links and resources added.
- Google’s 2019 Research Report (Helps understand trends for 2020)
- LinkedIn has published a post: The Skills Companies Need Most in 2022
Today we are living a fast-paced life, technology is getting smarter and the way we search, communicate, and buy things are rapidly changing the behaviour too is changing due to cheaper smartphones, the internet, and voice assistants like Google Assistant, Alexa, and other devices.
Before we get further into the scope of digital marketing let’s get a little more insight.
Here is recent research by Google:
Google’s 2019 Research Report
“This year consumer journeys became increasingly complex. New channels of media consumption emerged, traditional industries went digital, and standards in privacy and digital well-being were raised. This is a review of the insights we uncovered in 2019, based on Google and YouTube data and research. Our analysis uncovered five key themes that underpin the changes we saw this year, all of which are trends we expect to continue into 2020” Source: Think with Google
LinkedIn has published a post: The Skills Companies Need Most in 2022
In that list are:
(All these are part of the Digital Marketing Course and give us an acumen of the scope of Digital Marketing).
Number 8. Analytical Reasoning
Number 9: Marketing ( Digital Marketing )
Read the Complete Article: https://www.linkedin.com/business/learning/blog/top-skills-and-courses/most-in-demand-skills
Scope of Digital Marketing during Pandemic (COVID-19) UPDATED – May 2021
These are some of the FAQs about Digital Marketing Careers and the scope of digital marketing during the Pandemic
- Is this pandemic having an impact on Digital Marketing Careers?
- Are companies hiring during this time?
- Do companies allow us to WFH?
- Will I get an internship during this pandemic?
- How much salary can we expect from companies now? Should I compromise on our CTC due to a pandemic?
- What companies are hiring now during this lockdown?
- Will companies start to hire any time soon?
- Is it a good option for me to take up a course right now? Is it the right time to upskill me?
Here are some useful links, research, and studies to get a deeper insight into the scope of digital marketing in India
- Think with Google resources on the Future of Marketing
- LinkedIn Social Content & thought leader on the rise 40% of marketers said they plan to move events online
- Gartner says: Marketers Should Accelerate Digital Marketing Initiatives Amid COVID-19 Pandemic
Here are the trends at Web Marketing Academy: (We saw this trend during the COVID-19 Pandemic and Lockdown) that saw the scope of digital marketing in different industries and arenas.
For the first time, we are seeing Doctors want to learn Digital and Social Media. In May 2020, WMA with the help of Dr Jagdish Chinappa designed a curriculum for Doctors, so far we have trained more than 400 Doctors in India: Customized Social Media Course for Doctors in India
- August 2020:
I got a call an HR from a Social Media Agency. She said,” Hi Suresh, I have emailed you the details about Job openings at our agency.
We are so happy with Supriya and Shiffa’s performance. In fact, Shiffa is the one who is coming up with proposals, presenting, and closing the deals. (Supriya and Shiffa are alumni of Web Marketing Academy)
We are currently looking for only ALUMNI from your academy to join us for roles in digital marketing”
The role is Strategy Analyst and the package will be 7.5 Lacs
(The Job roles and descriptions are plenty of evidence of the growing scope of digital marketing.)
- September 2020:
Of the current batch of students who were about to complete the course, out of five students, three already accepted the job offer from two companies, with a package of 3 Lacs and 2.5 Lacs
The fourth student declined the offer and waiting for a better package. She got an offer for an Internship, and her package for Digital Marketing Internship is Rs 23,000
The fifth student started her freelancing WFH. She got her first blogging project for Rs 4000 per blog post
(The scope of Digital Marketing is not just limited to a job but beyond.)
- October 2020:
Every week, we send out the job requirements through email and WhatsApp. October month, a few job openings
- Digital Marketing Executive, 0-2 yrs experience, Bangalore – Package – 3-4 LPA
- Digital Marketing Specialist, 2-5 yrs experience – Package 8-9 LPA
- Digital Marketing Manager, 5-7 yrs experience – Package 8-10 LPA
- Digital Marketing Executive, 1-3 yrs experience – Package 5-6 LPA
- Digital Marketing Intern – Rs 10,000 per month
So to answer, companies are still looking to hire the right candidate, fast, even WFH options
(And most students who score these opportunities are fresh graduates. So the scope of digital marketing is independent of the cliched education hierarchy.)
Here are some of the Emails & WhatsApp Screenshots:
The opportunities & Scope for a Digital Marketing professional are huge in India right now. A fresh graduate can easily obtain a Digital Marketing Analyst role with a salary close to 25K per month to 6 Lacs per annum, while experienced professionals can command remunerations in the range of 8 lakhs – 40 lakhs per annum.
Before we get into the scope of digital marketing and how to get started, let’s look at some trends. See table below (Internal Data)
Average Salary for Digital Marketers across Indian Metros
|Job Roles||Average Yearly Salary in INR|
|Digital Marketing/SEO/PPC/Social Media Fresher (0-1 year experience)||2,50,000 – 4,00,000|
|Digital Marketing/SEO/PPC/Social Media Specialist (1-4 years experience)||4,00,000 – 6,00,000|
|Digital Marketing/SEO/PPC/Social Media Team Lead (4-6 years experience)||6,00,000 – 8,00,000|
|Digital Marketing/SEO/PPC/Social Media Manager(6-8 years experience)||8,00,000 – 10,00,000|
|Digital Marketing Manager(8-10 years experience)||10,00,000 – 12,00,000|
|Digital Marketing Manager with Marketing Background(10-12 years experience)||16,00,000 – 19,00,000|
|Digital Marketing Manager Non-Marketing Background(10-12 years experience)||12,00,000 – 15,00,000|
|Head of Marketing online/offline Marketing Background(10-12 years experience)||35,00,000 – 50,00,000|
A Google trend shows the growth of key terms – this is a great insight to understand the scope of digital marketing in India: Digital marketing. In the last 2 years, it has skyrocketed similarly the term social media has equally hiked.
Today Digital marketing requires a lot of skills than how it was a few years back. When I started my career in 2002, the scope of digital marketing was completely different. Scroll down to see the list of skills required with accompanying free resources & tools.
With the increasing scope of digital marketing in India the competition is high. Everyone wants to get into digital marketing. From our internal data (students at web marketing academy) HR professionals, sales & marketing, customer support, IT professionals, developers, web designers, entrepreneurs, bloggers, content writers, stay-at-home parents, and fresh graduates.
Apart from regular digital marketing skills. Here are a few other skills you might need to Get Started in Digital Marketing in 2022 in India
- Soft skills
- Writing – For blogs, SEO, Ad copies, social media descriptions, captions, and comments
- A presentation including public speaking
- working with teams
- Leadership qualities including empathy, EQ
- Working under stress
- Training the team
- Socializing skills
- How to pitch to a client or your boss or team
- Technical skills including basic HTML
- Design skills like basic image editing- Don’t worry you don’t need to learn photoshop, learn to use apps like http://Canva.com
- Video editing skills again use apps like Adobe spark video, and Quikapp
- You pick any form of content whichever you are good at and be good at it for some it’s written content, for others, it might be audio, for some they might be good in front of a camera, or visual content whatever you are comfortable with the pick that and create content
- Basic excel skills
- Google analytics – knowing and interpreting the data
In this article, you will find the latest Digital Marketing Trends, the Scope of digital marketing, and Resources
on How you too can start/upgrade your Career (UPDATED 2022)
Here is how our students transform into Digital Marketers
Question: Is Digital Marketing a good career? Here is my detailed QUORA answer: https://qr.ae/TUG6Lx
How to Get Started in Digital Marketing
- You don’t have to quit your current career to get started in digital
- Start by reading digital marketing blogs
- Attend digital marketing events, webinars, and meetups in your city
- Attend conferences related to digital marketing and new media
- Start your own blog. (Time to start – 5 minutes)
- Take the Inbound Marketing Certification from Hubspot for Free
- Is it worth taking up online digital marketing certification courses?
To know more about the scope of Digital Marketing read more on Digital Marketing Career Options for Beginners
We have designed a NEW ebook for the Modern Digital Marketer. It’s FREE, up-to-date with step-by-step instructions & resources for you to become a Modern Digital Marketer. Updated The Modern Marketer’s Guide to Digital Marketing – Vol. 2 – 2018 Vol 1: Download the e-book here:
Before we get on further into the scope of digital marketing in India let’s Watch this video on YouTube.
Want expert suggestions about your Digital Marketing Career – Call Us on 8792299538
To cite an example of the scope of digital marketing in India – one of our own students, who had 8 years of experience in a traditional Marketing role, quit the job to take our Digital Marketing course. Two months after the course, he had an offer from a Fortune 500 company of 17 lakhs per annum. There are many more examples like this that speak for the limitlessness of the scope of digital marketing and not just in India but the world over. If you look at the job listings on LinkedIn, about 20-25% of the jobs listed are in the Digital Marketing realm. This is no surprise that the scope of digital marketing and the Digital Marketing industry is growing at a fast pace and in need of skilled professionals.
The scope of digital marketing is only increasing day by day. Unlike a few years ago, it is a bit of a challenge to stay up to date in the Digital Marketing industry today. It is no longer enough to read a few blogs and the occasional book. This is probably enough to have a superficial knowledge of the industry and is certainly a good starting point. But it is nowhere near enough if you want to become a skilled professional. The industry is so dynamic that by the time a book is published, what is written in it will be outdated.
The question is now that I’m aware of the Scope of digital marketing, How do I start a career in Digital Marketing?
Here are a few ways to get started in Digital Marketing
- You don’t have to quit your current career to get started in digital: I had a few participants with more than 5-6 years of experience in traditional marketing. They quit their current job to pursue a career in digital and had to wait a couple of months after taking up the digital marketing management course to get an offer.
But they ended up with an offer to double their previous pay. Finding a job that fits you might be challenging, so unless you have to quit to get started don’t quit your current job. Get started while you are still at your job, and spend a few hours a day on digital. We will get into blogs, and websites to follow in a bit.
(P.S.: WMA also offers weekend batches.)
- Start by reading digital marketing blogs: This is the age where with the increasing scope of digital marketing a lot of industry experts maintain their own blogs and websites where they regularly update their ideas and learnings. For example, SEOmoz, http://www.seomoz.org/blog Hubspot http://blog.hubspot.com/, and Avinash Kaushik’s Occam’s Razor http://kaushik.net.
These blogs are very rich in information and they’re free. It is a wonderful place to pick up industry insights that you can apply for your job or to your own website. Here is a blog post with links to blogs, and books every marketer should follow: https://www.webmarketingacademy.in/blogs-every-digital-marketer-should-follow/
- Attend digital marketing events, webinars, and meetups in your city: There are several meet-ups and hangouts happening in your city similar to this. Attend a few and stick to the ones that you will benefit from the most. If you attend events, webinars, and conferences, you will not just learn from the speakers, but also from your fellow attendees who will be more than willing to exchange experiences. It can be a good place to see how your peers are doing things and how you match them and what you can learn from them. Your Story, Startup Saturday, Attend these events and network with like-minded people. You will learn a lot from them about the growing scope of digital marketing.
- Attend conferences related to digital marketing and new media
A great way to touch base on the ever-evolving and growing scope of Digital in India.
- Start your own blog. (Time to start – 5 minutes) It takes less than five minutes to start a blog on WordPress or Blogger. And update it frequently. Do not worry about who reads it or what impact it makes on someone else. The first person a blog will impact is the author herself.
So experience first-hand the scope of digital.
- Take the Inbound Marketing Certification from Hubspot for Free Hubspot offers them for free and these certifications are widely recognized in the industry.
Before you take the exam, read this blog post on how to pass the Inbound marketing certification: https://www.webmarketingacademy.in/inbound-marketing-certification-2013/. I have to say it is not easy to pass, but going through the videos will be extremely useful.
- Is it worth taking up online digital marketing certification courses? Even though, we are in the digital era, having a one-on-one instructor-led program is valuable and you will learn more in classroom settings, where you can ask questions and practice them. There are plenty of free YouTube videos.
But an interactive classroom setup and working on live projects will help get real-time insights into the digital marketing industry and its scope.
- Digital marketing workshops, webinars, and videos are another great way to get real-time insights into the scope of digital marketing in India. Again there are plenty of workshops conducted in your city. Before attending those workshops, do your research, look at the past workshops, talk to the attendees if possible and see their career, and how it has impacted their career, and then take a call.
However, attending webinars and videos like Whiteboard Friday from SEOMoz will add a lot of value and you will learn a lot. http://www.seomoz.org/blog/category/whiteboard-friday and Hubspot conduct weekly webinars on a variety of digital marketing topics, attend those webinars. http://www.hubspot.com/marketing-webinars You can also sign up for Web Marketing Academy’s upcoming workshops on digital marketing. www.webmarketingacademy.in send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 8792299538
- What about taking a digital marketing course from the web marketing academy? Well, you can, but before that, see how it has changed the lives of these people: http://goo.gl/W0YZO. Still, have questions about the scope of digital marketing for your career? Give us a call and talk to us, we would love to guide you in the right direction. Call: 8792299538. More Resources:
- My Medium post on A Complete Beginners Guide to Digital Marketing: A Beginners Guide to Digital Marketing
- Digital Marketing Career Path in India: https://www.webmarketingacademy.in/digital-marketing-career-path-india/
- Cost of Digital Marketing Course Fees in Bangalore: https://www.webmarketingacademy.in/digital-marketing-course-fees-in-india-with-options-resources/
Summary: The scope of Digital Marketing in India. How to get started in Digital with detailed beginners guide to Digital Marketing. What is the scope and whatare the skills to become a digital marketer in 2021? Resources to upgrade your skills with these latest trends.