So, You want to learn Social Media Optimization?
What is social media optimization?
Social media optimization is the process of optimizing your social channels to get discovered. Social Media Optimization comes under the umbrella of Social Media. To know more about Social Media Marketing, Click here.
What is Social Media & How brands use Social Media:
20 years ago, our primary source of entertainment was restricted to Television, Radio, and Newspaper which were all one-way communication and there was no source to express or socialize except when we gathered in one place like a family occasion or celebration.
Then came the internet and we started using it for research and it evolved to shopping in the early 90s. Then came Google and opened the doors of the World Wide Web to the interactive web 2.0, blogging, LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram through which we started communicating.
Social Media Platforms gave us the opportunity to express and get connected to our friends and family. As we started spending more time on these social networking sites every day, the businesses decided to make their presence online felt and establish themselves on these platforms to get our attention.
The problem with businesses and social media:
This led to businesses spamming the social media sites thus defeating the sole purpose of these networks being a place to socialize. Instead of pushing their products or services onto the users, businesses found a way to attract them by providing valuable content using compelling and inspiring stories they can connect with. Here’s how these brands attract their users: https://sproutsocial.com/insights/social-media-marketing-examples/
Social Media allows businesses to:
- Build Trust
- Connect/Communicate with the public thus building brand awareness.
Birth of Social Media Optimization:
Before Social Media came into existence, people/businesses were optimizing their websites for Google Search Engine which is widely known as Search Engine Optimization (SEO). Later, When Social Media Sites started trending around 2002, businesses started optimizing their content across various platforms like blogs, Facebook Pages, LinkedIn, etc using the same techniques of SEO. Those who started back then reaped the first mover advantages when the concept was still fresh and untapped.
Why is Social Media Optimization a necessity for every business?
Optimizing your Social Media Platforms helps with more visibility, opportunity to connect and interact with users. It helps to increase brand awareness, build trust, rank better on universal search results.
How is Social Media optimization different/similar to Search engine optimization?
- Similar: It is free, the basic principles of SEO like keyword research, search for trends, title, caption/description, Tags, categories and rich content.
- Different: Customizable format of content appealing to respective platforms.
Basics on how to optimize Social Media for your business:
- Ensure your profile is public and not private for the Google crawlers to be able to crawl your content
- Identify the mediums/platforms that are good for your business (know where your audience is)
- Creation of content and make it easily shareable across all social platforms
- Use relevant content and customize the format according to the platform. Ex: infographic on Pinterest, Blog post on Blogger and Audio notes or podcasts on SoundCloud.
- Understand and engage your audience (sharing, commenting, engaging)
- Use SEO techniques like Keyword Research, Title tags, Meta Description, Caption, Alt Text, Tags, Categories, location, for every image, video, infographic.
Here’s a step by step guide to optimizing your Facebook page, the principles of which are applicable across other social networking sites:
Let’s look at some social media trends in 2019. Full Report Here
About the Author:
Vishnu Priya Srinivasan – A budding Digital Marketer specializing in Content development