The scope of Digital Marketing in India
Get Started in Digital Marketing
- You don’t have to quit your current career to get started in digital
- Start by reading digital marketing blogs
- Attend digital marketing events, webinars, meetups in your city
- Attend conferences related to digital marketing and new media
- Start your own blog. (Time to start – 5 minutes)
- Take the Inbound Marketing Certification from Hubspot for Free
- Is it worth taking up online digital marketing certification courses?
- Attend Digital marketing workshops, webinars, videos
This article was published earlier. Digital Marketing has changed a bit, we have designed a NEW ebook for this Modern Digital Marketer. It’s FREE, up-to-date with step by step instructions & resources for you to become a Modern Digital Marketer. Download the e-book here:
I wish I could have learned about digital marketing, the career opportunities it has to offer and everything else related to the field, in college. But, unfortunately, most colleges do not have anything to do with digital marketing in their curriculum. At best, we can find a couple of courses on E-Commerce basics.
Digital Marketing is so much more than E-Commerce and the only way for someone who is interested to learn about it is through self-effort and a handful of institutes like Web Marketing Academy (WMA). At WMA, we are looking to make some progress on this front, and after evangelizing for a few years, we are proud to have helped introduce Digital Marketing in the curriculum of Christ, Vanguard, and WLCI.
It is very surprising that this is the state of affairs in the country because the opportunities for a Digital Marketing professional are huge in India right now. This is not just in terms of career growth opportunities, but in monetary terms as well. A fresh graduate can easily obtain a role with a salary close to 25K per month to 6 Lacs per annum, while experienced professionals can command remunerations in the range of 20 lakhs – 75 per annum.
To cite an example, one of our own students, who had an experience of 8 years in a traditional Marketing role, quit this job to take our Digital Marketing course. Two months after the course, he had an offer from a Fortune 500 company of 17 lakhs per annum. There are much more examples like this. If you look at the job listings on LinkedIn, about 20-25% of the jobs listed are in the Digital Marketing realm. This is no surprise as the industry is growing at a fast pace and is need of skilled professionals.
Unlike a few years ago, it is a bit of a challenge to stay up to date in the Digital Marketing industry today. It is no longer enough to read a few blogs and the occasional book. This is probably enough to have a superficial knowledge of the industry and is certainly a good starting point. But it is nowhere near enough if you want to become a skilled professional. The industry is so dynamic that by the time a book is published, what is written in it will be outdated.
Here are a few ways to get started in Digital Marketing
- Mobile Apps & Plugins have simplified Marketing. It’s just identifying the right apps to create amazing content. Creating relevant and timely Content is one of most important skill in 2016. Some of the apps: http://madewithover.com https://www.fiftythree.com/
- Learn some basic Photo & Video editing skills. Resources: http://www.ripl.com/ http://www.mixcord.co/partners/picplaypost.html
- Live Videos are changing the social media industry. Install these apps and play with it: Facebook Live
Here is one of a recent Facebook Live Video for you to Keep Up to Date:
Prefer speaking to a Mentor at WMA? We would love to help you in the right direction. Call Shwetha: Mobile: +91-8792299538 or email: email@example.com
- Communication is the key. Here are some Communication Guide & Resources
- This is the age where a lot of industry experts maintain their own blogs and websites where they regularly update their ideas and learnings. For example, Search engine land, moz, Hubspot and Avinash Kaushik’s Occam’s Razor. These blogs are so rich in information that I sometimes wonder why they give it all out for free. It is a wonderful place to pick up industry insights that you can apply for your job or to your own website. Make it a habit to read these blogs on a regular basis
- While learning from written content is one way, another highly effective way is by participation. If you attend events, webinars, and conferences, you will not just learn from the speakers, but also from your fellow attendees who will be more than willing to exchange experiences. It can be a good place to see how your peers are doing things and how you match up to them and what you can learn from them. Attend monthly events like OME Community digital marketing events in Christ University Bangalore
- Start your own blog. And update it frequently. Do not worry about who reads it or what impact it makes to someone else. The first person a blog will impact is the author herself. Like Seth Godin famously says ‘If you do not ship, it is not art”. You should put your thoughts out there in the public domain. Putting down your thoughts will ensure that you do research, which will help you learn better. When you put things down trying to ensure that another person reading it will be able to completely understand what you say, you will reassess your assumptions and indulge in a logical thought process. Writing is the best way to test your understanding of an abstract concept.
- It is extremely helpful to get certifications in Digital Marketing. Hubspot offers them for free and these certifications are widely recognized in the industry.
- Ask for guidance. If you are unsure about anything at all, you can always give us a call. We are here to help you through any decision.
- If you are serious about a career in this industry, take a certificate course with us. And take this course from a market motive. This course will give you a clear idea not just about what needs to be done, but also about what you should not do. We will guide you right from where and how to start, the tools you will need to use to keep yourself up to date about the happenings in the industry. Dedicate 50 hours/1 months, and your life will change. Yes I mean your life will change. Call: 9731388721 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org See how it has changed the lives of these people: Click here and Video here
- If you like what you see and like to help your friends and family, Please tweet, share on Facebook.
Another Blog post:
How can you get started in digital marketing ?
1. You don’t have to quit your current career to get started in digital
I had a few participants with more than 5-6 years experience in traditional marketing. They quit their current job to pursue a career in digital and had to wait a couple of months after taking up the digital marketing management course to get an offer. But they ended up with an offer of double their previous pay. Finding a job that fits you might be challenging, so unless you have to quit to get started don’t quit your current job. Get started while you are still at your job, and spend a few hours a day on digital. We will get into blogs, websites to follow in a bit.
2. Start by reading digital marketing blogs
This is the age where a lot of industry experts maintain their own blogs and websites where they regularly update their ideas and learnings. For example, SEOmoz, http://www.seomoz.org/blog Hubspot http://blog.hubspot.com/ and Avinash Kaushik’s Occam’s Razor http://kaushik.net. These blogs are very rich in information and they’re free. It is a wonderful place to pick up industry insights that you can apply for your job or to your own website. Here is a blog post with links to blogs, books every marketer should follow: http://www.webmarketingacademy.in/blogs-every-digital-marketer-should-follow/
3. Attend digital marketing events, webinars, meetups in your city
While learning from written content is one way, another highly effective way is by participation.
I used to be a shy guy till I got exposed to events in 2003 when my ex-boss John used to take me to a lot of networking events. This was when I got rid of my shyness and gained confidence. And when I moved to India, realized that there are many of us, who have great talent but don’t have the opportunities to meet like-minded people and a platform to network.
That is the reason for starting the OME Community https://www.facebook.com/groups/omecommunity/. There are several meet-ups and hangouts happening in your city similar to this. Attend a few and stick to the ones that you will benefit from the most. If you attend events, webinars, and conferences, you will not just learn from the speakers, but also from your fellow attendees who will be more than willing to exchange experiences. It can be a good place to see how your peers are doing things and how you match up to them and what you can learn from them.
Your Storyhttp://yourstory.in/events-listing/, Startup Saturday http://startupsaturday.headstart.in/, Alok Kejriwal http://rodinhood.com/ all have some good events. Attend these events and network with like-minded people. You will learn a lot from them
About meetups in Bangalore (OME Community)
Did you know that we conduct monthly meet-ups in Bangalore, with over 100 digital marketers, share our knowledge and network? Here is what the OME Community has for you this month: http://www.webmarketingacademy.in/ome-digitexa/ Here is what one of our students do, Vijay Ram, who graduated from web marketing academy, https://www.facebook.com/vijay.ram.75 he used to attend these OME meet-ups and today, he is conducting his own meet-ups, conferences and helping small businesses, start-ups and students to get started in their business.
So go find a meetup near you or join OME Community Facebook group where most of the meetups are posted: https://www.facebook.com/groups/omecommunity/
4. Attend conferences related to digital marketing and new media
Andy, whom I was working with, is a speaker, who helps CEO’s in their leadership and business. In one of his sessions, in front of all the attendees, he announced that “Today, Suresh will speak to you about how to create a blog.” I was scared to death, and I told him, “Andy, it is hard for me to even speak with our colleagues and you’re asking me to talk to these CEO’s! He replied, “Don’t worry, just share what you do for Fox advertising.” So I shared about how to create a blog.
The interesting thing was the CEO’s didn’t care about how I spoke, but they cared about what they got out of it. Each and every one of them came to me after the event and thanked me for sharing. It was one of those wonderful moments.
Since then I have learned to speak in public. Yes, it wasn’t easy for a shy guy to speak in front of people. It took a lot of time and practice, and I’m still working on it. During those days, I loved attending conferences. In 2005 & 2006, I attended Podcamp, Pub Con, and several such events.
I learned most of the digital by attending conferences. It is about the energy and people that come to the events. Learning from others is one of the best ways to learn. When they share their passion, it makes it easier for us to make things happen. Attend Conferences like the ones we did in 2011: Search marketing summit Bangalore: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08ienQhNMrA Adtech, TFMA, Click Asia Summit, Search engine strategies Expo to name a few.
5. Start your own blog. (Time to start – 5 minutes)
It takes less than five minutes to start a blog on WordPress or blogger. Here is a blog post written by Amada titled, “What I Wish I Learned in Business School” http://www.blueglass.com/blog/business-school-lessons/where she talks about blogging. And update it frequently. Do not worry about who reads it or what impact it makes to someone else. The first person a blog will impact is the author herself.
Like Seth Godin famously says ‘If you do not ship, it is not art”. You should put your thoughts out there in the public domain. Putting down your thoughts will ensure that you do research, which will help you learn better. When you put things down trying to ensure that another person reading it will be able to completely understand what you say, you will reassess your assumptions and indulge in a logical thought process. Writing is the best way to test your understanding of an abstract concept. I met Kumar via his blog and his comment on Mitch Joel’s blog: http://www.kumartalks.com/. He helps WMA in blog posts and meet-ups. Thanks, Kumar.
Start a blog today/Now: www.wordpress.com www.blogger.com
6. Take the Inbound Marketing Certification from Hubspot for Free
Hubspot offers them for free and these certifications are widely recognized in the industry. Before you take the exam, read this blog post on how to pass the Inbound marketing certification: http://www.webmarketingacademy.in/inbound-marketing-certification-2013/. I have to say it is not easy to pass, but going through the videos will be extremely useful.
7. Is it worth taking up online digital marketing certification courses?
Even though, we are in the digital era, having a one on one instructor-led program is valuable and you will learn more in classroom settings, where you can ask questions and practice it. There are plenty of free YouTube videos. If you plan to take up an online course, I would strongly suggest taking up a course with market motive by Avinash Kaushik. It is amazing and worth spending that money with market motive. http://www.marketmotive.com/
8. Digital marketing workshops, webinars, videos
Again there are plenty of workshops conducted in your city. Before attending those workshops, do your research, look at the past workshops, talk to the attendees if possible and see their career, how it has impacted their career, and then take a call. However, attending webinar and videos like Whiteboard Friday from SEOMoz will add a lot of value and you will learn a lot. http://www.seomoz.org/blog/category/whiteboard-friday and Hubspot conduct weekly webinars on a variety of digital marketing topics, attend those webinars. http://www.hubspot.com/marketing-webinars
9. What about taking a digital marketing course from web marketing academy?
Well, you can, but before that, see how it has changed the lives of these people: http://goo.gl/W0YZO.
Still, have questions about digital marketing for your career ? Give us a call and talk to us, we would love to guide you in the right direction. My number is 97313882721.